Do smoking and fruit and vegetable intake mediate the association between socio-economic status and plasma carotenoids?

2.50
Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10143/301738
Title:
Do smoking and fruit and vegetable intake mediate the association between socio-economic status and plasma carotenoids?
Authors:
Kvaavik, Elisabeth; Totland, Torunn H; Bastani, Nasser; Kjøllesdal, Marte K; Tell, Grethe S; Andersen, Lene F
Citation:
Do smoking and fruit and vegetable intake mediate the association between socio-economic status and plasma carotenoids? 2013: Eur J Public Health

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.authorKvaavik, Elisabethen_GB
dc.contributor.authorTotland, Torunn Hen_GB
dc.contributor.authorBastani, Nasseren_GB
dc.contributor.authorKjøllesdal, Marte Ken_GB
dc.contributor.authorTell, Grethe Sen_GB
dc.contributor.authorAndersen, Lene Fen_GB
dc.date.accessioned2013-09-17T17:13:51Z-
dc.date.available2013-09-17T17:13:51Z-
dc.date.issued2013-06-27-
dc.identifier.citationDo smoking and fruit and vegetable intake mediate the association between socio-economic status and plasma carotenoids? 2013: Eur J Public Healthen_GB
dc.identifier.issn1464-360X-
dc.identifier.pmid23813714-
dc.identifier.doi10.1093/eurpub/ckt081-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10143/301738-
dc.description.abstractThe aim was to study whether the association between educational attainment and antioxidant status is mediated by smoking and fruit and vegetable intake.en_GB
dc.description.abstractCross-sectional analyses of the Oslo Youth Study 2006 wave were carried out. Information about education, smoking habits and diet was collected by questionnaire for 261 subjects (142 women and 119 men aged 38-42 years). Blood samples, height and weight measurements were taken by the participants' General Practitioner. Blood were analysed for plasma carotenoids. Linear regression analyses were used to examine whether smoking and fruit and vegetable intake mediate the association between education and plasma carotenoids.en_GB
dc.description.abstractEducational level was positively associated with β-cryptoxanthin, α-carotene and lutein/zeaxanthin, but not with total carotenoids, β-carotene or lycopene. Education was negatively associated with smoking and positively associated with fruit and vegetable intake. Smoking was negatively associated with β-cryptoxanthin, and fruit and vegetable intake was positively associated with β-cryptoxanthin (adjusted for educational level). Moreover, cigarette consumption mediated the association between education and β-cryptoxanthin by 37%, while fruit and vegetable intake mediated this association by 18%. The total mediation effect was 55%.en_GB
dc.description.abstractSmoking seemed to be more important as a mediator between education and plasma levels of β-cryptoxanthin than the intake of fruit and vegetables, but more studies are needed to establish the relative importance of smoking and diet as mediators of the association between education and antioxidant status.en_GB
dc.languageENG-
dc.rightsArchived with thanks to European journal of public healthen_GB
dc.titleDo smoking and fruit and vegetable intake mediate the association between socio-economic status and plasma carotenoids?-
dc.typeJournal articleen
dc.typepeer revieweden
dc.contributor.department1 Norwegian institute for alcohol and drug research, Oslo, Norway.en_GB
dc.identifier.journalEuropean journal of public healthen_GB
All Items in HeRA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.